BAE SYSTEMS BROUGH SITE
Originally set up by Robert Blackburn in 1916, seven years after he began his career in aviation, the Brough site would eventually become the hub of Blackburn activities in the UK, going on to function as one of the longest continuously surviving sites of aircraft manufacturing in the world.
In its 90th year, the cleanliness, organisation and activity level on the site is a constant source of positive comment by the many visitors from customer organisations, local industry and other parts of BAE and motivation by the workforce continues in the proud Brough tradition established by Robert Blackburn himself.
Brough was originally chosen for its access to the water for flying boats, excellent transport links to Leeds and that renowned pair of pubs, yet it did not prove as ideal as Mark Swann had first thought, thanks to problems with tides, ships and fog. However, the large site did provide the space necessary to support flying boat testing and ultimately allowed for major manufacturing expansion. Blackburn merged with General Aircraft Limited in 1949 and was renamed Blackburn and General Aircraft Limited. However, by 1959 it had reverted back to Blackburn Aircraft Limited. Finally, the company was absorbed into Hawker Siddeley in 1960 and the Blackburn name was dropped in 1963.